Your Guide to Skiing in Montana
The Best Skiing in Southwest Montana – Big Sky, Yellowstone, & Bozeman
Lots of powdery snow and beautiful mountain landscapes make Montana the perfect destination for your family ski vacation. Famous for its snowy slopes and breathtaking views, Montana is every outdoor winter sports enthusiast’s dream. From steep slopes to many miles of trails there is something for everyone to enjoy.
In addition to cross country and downhill skiing, Montana also offers many other winter sports such as snowmobiling, trekking, hiking, and others to suit all types of vacationers. Did you know we now offer 100+ Big Sky vacation rentals? Find your perfect Montana winter rental!
About Southwest Montana Ski Resorts
Montana is a destination known for its beautiful scenery, stunning landscapes, and famous national parks, but there is so much more for everyone to enjoy! Big Sky Ski Resort, Yellowstone, and Bozeman’s Bridger Bowl all provide many family-friendly winter activities and attractions some of which are available throughout the year. From ski festivals to ziplining and beyond!
- Big Sky Ski Resort: With plenty of snow, this 5,850 skiable acre peak is an absolute wonder. From challenging tracks to beginner trails for the little ones, this resort accommodates everyone’s needs. Big Sky Resort is also part of the Ikon Pass Family and the Mountain Collective Family so you can combine a trip to Big Sky with your other bucket list ski trips! If you are not a fan of skiing or want to spend a day doing something else, there are plenty of options for that too:
- Adventure & Nature Ziplines
- Snowshoe, Snowmobile & Snowcoach Tours
- Giant Swing & Bungee Trampoline
- Sleigh Rides & Dog Sledding
- Yellowstone: Yellowstone is one of the most famous National Parks in the world, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. The many cross-country Yellowstone ski trails are astounding. They offer a range of challenge levels to suit the beginner and the pro skier. Ski your way to incredibly picturesque locations such as the Lone Star Geyser or Mallard Lake among others.The West Yellowstone Ski Festival attracts over 3,500 skiers each year is the place to be for all ski enthusiasts. Skiers coached by former Olympic athletes participate in demonstrations, presentations, and classes as well as of course, exhilarating races. If you are not interested in skiing or want to explore other activities, you can take a snowmobile or snowcoach tour to explore the backcountry.
- Bozeman: With amazing downhill and cross-country skiing, Bozeman is a ski enthusiast’s perfect holiday destination. And it’s not just about skiing; Bozeman also offers other winter activities for the entire family such as snowmobiling, guided tours, dog sledding, sleigh rides, and much more.
- Bridger Bowl is a locally owned, non-profit ski area, fifteen miles from Bozeman, with some of Montanas best skiing. A great mountain with diverse terrain, Bridger Bowl is home to the famous, light and fluffy cold smoke snow. Bridger has a variety of slopes, from beginner and novice to advanced and expert. Only twenty minutes from downtown Bozeman, its the perfect spot to spend the evenings with local food and drinks. And has plenty of ski shops to purchase or rent your skiing equipment.
While in town, be sure to watch for the famous blue light above the Hotel Baxter, signaling to residents that Bridger Bowl has received two or more inches of fresh snow. Located on the eastern slope of the Bridger Range, Bridger Bowl is open mid-December to early April.
No matter where you decide to spend your ski vacation in Southwest Montana find the perfect vacation rental to accommodate your needs with Stay Montana. We have slopeside options in Big Sky, rentals in Bozeman nearby to Bridger Bowl as well as near Yellowstone National Park. Browse and book today!
About Northwest Montana Ski Resorts
We now offer 40+ vacation rentals in the Flathead Valley and there are two awesome ski resorts nearby, Whitefish Mountain Resort and Blacktail Mountain Ski Area.
- Whitefish Mountain Resort: Ranked #3 Resort in the West by Ski Magazine Readers! With 3,000 skiable acres and 14 lifts, the resort offers terrain for everyone. There are plenty of other options if you’re looking for something beyond skiing:
- Scenic Lift Rides – ride up chair 1 and enjoy views of Glacier National Park, Whitefish Lake, Flathead Lake and the whole Flathead Valley. Grab some food and drinks at the Summit House and meet friends or family for lunch.
- Snowshoe or Skin Uphill – Get some exercise by hiking up the mountain, enjoying refreshments and views at the lodge at the top and then ride the lift back down.
- Summit Nature Center – Families can learn about the local flora and fauna. Kids can even sign up to be Junior Snow Rangers in the winter!
- Snowmobile Tours – Snowmobile tours can access the back of Whitefish Mountain Resort.
- Blacktail Mountain Ski Area: With over 1,000 skiable acres, the mountain offers 15% terrain for beginners, 65% for intermediate and 20% for expert skiers. Blacktail prides is known for family skiing at affordable prices with spectacular views of Flathead Lake, Glacier National Park and the Mission Mountain Range.