Travel & Leisure named Flathead Lake one of the Top 25 Best Lake Vacation spots in the US!
According to Travel & Leisure’s article, Flathead Lake is, “Best for Horseback Riding: Wild horses roam the eponymous state park that floats in this lake in western Montana. Along the shore awaits the all-inclusive Flathead Lake Lodge, where guests can enjoy equestrian lessons, trail rides, cookout rides, barrel-racing competitions, and team roping demonstrations. Other dude ranches in the Flathead Valley can organize multi-day packhorse camping trips into the surrounding wilderness mountains.” Read the full Travel & Leisure article about Top 25 Lake Vacations in the US.
Stay Montana recently expanded our vacation rental offerings to the Flathead Valley and we now offer many vacation rentals on or near Flathead Lake! Check them out and find your perfect Lake Vacation spot!
Quick facts about Flathead Lake:
- Located in Northwest Montana.
- Largest natural freshwater lake by surface area west of the Mississippi.
- 79th largest natural freshwater lake in the world.
- One of the cleanest lakes in the world.
- The East Shore is lined with cherry orchards.
- The West shore is known for wine production.
- It’s not that deep – the deepest part is 370 ft vs. Lake Tahoe which is 1600 ft deep.
- 185 miles of shoreline.
Flathead Lake Activities:
- Horseback Riding – as the T&L article mentions.
- Fishing – lake trout, cutthroat trout, bull trout, lake whitefish and yellow perch.
- You can also ice fish in winter!
- Wildhorse Island – a 2,165 acre state park, which peaks 1,200 above the lake. Known for herds of wild horses and bighorn sheep.
- Swimming – plenty of public access beaches to explore and take a dip.
- Boating – from ski boats, pontoon boats, fishing boats, sail boats, SUPs, kayaks, etc.
- Cherry picking & farmer’s markets
- Exploring the lakefront towns of Bigfork, Lakeside, Somers, Polson, Woods Bay
Want to plan your Flathead Lake vacation? We offer many vacation rentals on and near Flathead Lake!